There are numerous streams and waterfalls in this hilly area. We make earthen check dams using local materials and local resources at an appropriate locations, as per the demands from the adjuscent villagers.
- The farmers can use water from the check dam to continue farming, even post the monsoon rain.
- Check dams can help to recharge underground wells. The water levels in these wells go up. Most wells in the villages of Dharampur dry up after Holi, but with these check dams the wells can maintain water levels till around May.
- Dharampur ta Iuka receives an average of 125 inches of ra infall in t he mo nsoo n season. Yet, the streams in these mountains flow only until November-December. However, the streams where we have created check dams flow until February, and the water also penetrates deep into the soil.
- With the check dams farmers are able to take an additional winter harvest of legumes such as chana, choli, tuwar, mutter, vaal and so on.
- The forests in dharmpur tend to dry up by January-February. In many villages the livestock have to be taken 2-3 kms. out into the woods to drink water. They get to drink water only once in 24hours. The check dams we have made have brought much relief to the livestock as well as other birds and animals of the jungle .
OVER THE LAST 13 YEARS202 check dams in 33 villages have been built at the cost of Rs. 90,91,489. Today, however, the cost of constructing one check dam is @ Rs. 65,000/-.
CONCRETE CHECK DAM ON RIVER ‘NAR’
Our Khadki center is located on the banks of the river Nar. Normally, the water would dry up completely by March. In 2004, it was decided by the Gujarat Water Supply Board that whenever possible, the work of constructing the dam should be granted to local voluntary organizations . We decided to take up the work of building the dam. Although no qualified engineer was available, local workers and the enthusiasm, diligence, involvement and cooperation of the people ensured that the project was successfully implemented.It required two and a half months and around 4,842 working hours to construct this dam. The materials were paidfor bythe government and the Trust. As a result, stored water remains collected throughout the year . Farmers close to the bank use the water for irrigation, while those in Maharashtra are able to obtain water for bathing, for livestock and for irrigation.Today, the river flows by our center round the year. During monsoon, the water flows almost 15 feet above the level of the check dam.